Issue 2 12/97
NEWS FROM THE BELGIAN SCENE
Compiled by Marc Bekaert for FolkWorld
We are happy to introduce here the first regional column of FolkWorld; from Belgium. We hope that in time we will have regional columns from all over Europe - to reach this aim we need your help! Please contact us, if you like to compile a news column of your country/region!
Marc Bekaert, editor of Flemish folk mag BOURDONSKE, will keep you updated on the Belgian scene in his ca. quarterly appearing news column.
News, groups and artists
- ANARCHISTISCHE ABENDUNTERHALTUNG cultural ambassadors Flanders:
Trendy modern rock approach of classics with acc/viol/clar
- Antwerp bard WANNES VAN DE VELDE had great musical 60th birthyear
- SHANTALLA Brussels based Irish band new line up:
Singer Helen Flaherty (Scotl) drops in, fiddler Luc Pilartz out
- ORION Celtic & balkan band new line up and recording for Keltia:
Ex Battlefield McMenemy joins for new recording with Donal Lunny!
- Increasing boom of new flemish folk groups:
AMBROZIJN, FLUXUS, LA¤S, CARROSSERIE D'AMOUR, POESCAFÉ, MALLOU, POLKA GALOP, TWALSEREE, THE SWIGSHIFT, LA POUBELLE,...
- Folk integrates in programs of cultural/art centra:
Warande Turnhout, Zuiderpershuis Antwerp, Vooruit & Zele Zaal Ghent, Deurne, Lommel, Kortrijk, etc
- Folk clubs difficulties to compete with these centra:
Speelmanstreffen St Niklaas (exit), Folkpodium Leuven, ...
and appearing on internet: http://www.club.innet.be/ear3288/Eynde.html and http://www.angelfire.com/id/folkpodium/
- After summer full of festivals already planning '98:
- Bruges Festival (first weekend of February) Discoveries worldwide roots music
- Happy Folk Night Deerlijk (6 & 7.3.) Shave the monkey, Ron Kavana,...
- Labadoux (first weekend of May) ???
- Gurdy-hurdy & bagpipe Aubechies (first weekend of June) on archeological site
- Feestival 2002 Gooik (first weekend of July) Mediterrenean traditionals
- Sfinks Boechout (first weekend of July) World music i/t finest conditions
- Dranouter Folkfestival (first weekend of August) The biggest in Europe
- and lots of free city summer festivals with all kinds of music...
New CD Releases
- FLEMISH FOLK MUSIC 1997 Map 97003 109'34" (e-mail) Essential compilation with 36 famous & new flemish mostly traditional groups + booklet 75p english info flemish folk music
- JAN SMED - AIREKES M&W MWCD4019 49'39" (e-mail) Traditional flemish quartet with sprankling country dances etc.
- PANTA RHEI - EUROPEAN MUSIC TODAY Biz-Arts BA97001 55'08"
All kinds of european folk & classic music: excellent/contemporary
- BOB, FRANK & ZUSSEN - A RICOLTA BUBU Pavane ADW7391
Medieval & renaissance music on contemporary instruments
- POESCAFÉ - FOLK MET POEZELIGE PIT Poescafé PC 97001 69'25"
Flemish fiddle & whistle in creative instrumental company
- MARC HAUMAN & DE MOEITE - WATER Map 97005 (e-mail) Dialectical songs about the waterfront
- CO¤NCIDENCE - PRIÈRES D'HOMMES 45'56"
Walloon mixture of folkrock, ballads, Celtic,...
- CATHERINE DELASALLE - TRIO Zoku Dureco 5520622 45'49"
French songs with multicultural world approach
- CRO MAGNON - BULL? Lowlands LOW008 54'46" (e-mail) Revolutionary new urban chamber music with roots
- KIERAN FAHY - THE WOMAN FROM TUAM ARC EUCD 1402 45'18"
Irish fiddler resident in Brussels with friends of SHANTALLA
- ABSENT FRIENDS - EVERTYTHING POSSIBLE A.F. rec. 112 51'06"
Anglo-saxon ballads from romantic, mature trio
Folk & World Concerts in Belgium
You can find full listings of concert and festival dates for Belgium at BOURDONSKEs Homepage!
- BOURDONSKE PB 194 B8500 Kortrijk (32)56726932 (phone & fax)
Flemish All kinds of folk & world 750 BEF/4 issues sent abroad
- GOE VOLLEK Dorpsstreet 67 B1755 Gooik (32)25322838 (phone & fax)
Flemish newsletter for folkmusicians 350 BEF/4 issues sent abroad
- LE CANARD FOLK Rue de Broyer 14 B1180 Brussels 18 (32)23320069
Walloon newsletter about folk 600 BEF/11 issues
To the content of FolkWorld online music magazine Nr. 2
© The Mollis - Editors of FolkWorld; Published 12/97
All material published in FolkWorld is © The Author via FolkWorld. Storage for private use is allowed and welcome. Reviews and extracts of up to 200 words may be freely quoted and reproduced, if source and author are acknowledged. For any other reproduction please ask the Editors for permission.
FolkWorld - Home of European Music
Layout & Idea of FolkWorld © The Mollis - Editors of FolkWorld