FolkWorld's best CDs 2001
FolkWorld's regular contributors name here their personal five
CD favourites of the year 2001, so that regular readers can find out about the
recommendations of their favourite reviewers and writers.
Some of our contributors had a bit different ideas of what the Top 5 shall
be like, some of the listed CDs are also not published in 2001. Nevertheless,
all CDs are recommended by the contributor. Find out about the favourite five
Anja Beinroth - Colin Jones
- Sean Laffey - Dorthe
Lübbert - Tom Kamphans - Tom
Keller alias Walkin' T:-)m - Søren Lund
- Karsten Rube - Eelco Schilder
- Axel Schuldes - Dai Woosnam
Michael Moll & Christian Moll: See Editors' Top
(Germany - FolkWorld reviewer & author, DJ of regional folk
- Gillian Welch "Time (The Revelator)" (Acony)
- Samba Mapangala & Orchestre Virunga "Ujumbe" (Stern's
- Ar Log "Ar Log I-III (1976-1981)" (Sain) (FolkWorld review:
English - German)
- Martin Carthy "The Carthy Chronicles" (Free Reed) (FolkWorld
review: English - German)
- Jake Walton & Jez Lowe "Two a Roue" (Tantobie) (FolkWorld
(England - FolkWorld reviewer & author, contributor of diverse
"I don't think I've heard enough to vote a definitive top 5, but I'd like
to put a word in for an album that has given me a lot of pleasure in 2001:
- Eliza Gilkyson "Hard Times In Babylon" (on Red House label)
(Ireland - FolkWorld author, editor of the Irish Music Magazine)
- Martin Simpson "Bramble Briar"
- Frank Harte "My Name is Napoleon Bonaparte"
- Old Blind Dogs "Fit" (photo)
- Davy Spillane & Kevin Glackin "Forgotten Days"
- James Keane "Live in Dublin"
- Paul Brady "The Missing Liberty Bells Tapes"
- Kadril "All the Best"
Lübbert (Germany - FolkWorld reviewer)
- Wenzel & Band "Grünes Licht"
- Bierfiedler "Unterm böhmischen Wind"
- Sandy Lopicic Orkestar "Border Confusion", Network 2001
- Wecker/Wader "Was für eine Nacht"
- Stoppok & Worthy "Grundvernügen"
(Germany - FolkWorld reviewer)
Tom has written a short explanatory text for his choice (German language only)
- click here.
- Götz Widmann "Götz
- H.E. Wenzel "Grünes Licht"
- Bierfiedler "Unter'm böhmischen Wind"
- Taj Mahal "Hanapepe Dream"
- Julian Dawson "Live, Cologne again"
Keller alias Walkin' T:-) (Germany - FolkWorld author & reviewer)
- Haugaard & Høirup "Let's Dansk" (FolkWorld
- Hiss "Tränen, Tabak und Tequila" (FolkWorld
- Larry Kirwan "Kilroy Was Here" (FolkWorld
- Lunasa "The Merry Sisters of Fate"
- McDermott's 2 Hours "World Turned Upside Down" (FolkWorld
Lund (Denmark - FolkWorld author & reviewer, member of the Danish
Folk Council FMS)
- Ani DiFranco "Revelling/Reckoning"
- Emily Slade "Shire Boy"
- Runrig "Stamping Ground"
- Fluxus "N.O.E" (FolkWorld
- Various "O Brother where art thou?" (soundtrack)
Rube (Germany - FolkWorld author & reviewer)
The 5 best CDs discovered this year (some are from 2000):
- Sharon Shannon "Diamond Mountain Session" (FolkWorld review: German
- Mariza "Fado em mim" (Portugal/Fado)
- Xosé Manuel Budiño "Arredor" (FolkWorld review: German
- Mercedes Peón "Isué" (FolkWorld review: German
- Laís "Dorothea" (FolkWorld review: English)
Schilder (The Netherlands - FolkWorld author & reviewer, writer
of NewFolkSounds mag)
- Garmarna "Hildegard von Bingen" (FolkWorld
- Olla Vogala "Fantoom" (FolkWorld
- Rufus Wainwright "Poses"
- Hughes de Courson and others "O'stravaganza"
- Tumult "Wallegnav"
(Germany - FolkWorld "Irish CD" columnist, co-organiser
of Irish Spring Festival Tour in Germany)
Dillon "Cara Dillon"
- Paddy Glackin & Mícheál Ó Domhnaill "Reprise
- Eddie Reader "Simple Soul"
- Eleanor Shanley "Eleanor Shanley & Friends" (photo)
- Allan Taylor "Colour to the Moon"
- Paul Brady "The (Missing) Liberty Tapes" (1978)
- Jackson C. Frank "Jackson C. Frank" (1965, remastered /
deluxe booklet / bonus tracks)
- Bert Jansch "Bert Jansch" (1965, remastered / deluxe booklet
/ bonus tracks)
- Pentangle "Basket of Light" (1969, remastered / deluxe
booklet / bonus tracks)
- Linda Thompson "Give Me a Sad Song" (1970-1986)
(England - FolkWorld reviewer, writer of diverse folk magazines)
has written a text justifying and explaining his choice of these five CDs -
click here to read it!
- The Copper Family "Come write me down - Early Recordings of The Copper
Family of Rottingdean"
- Martin Simpson "The Bramble Briar"
- Denny Bartley "Midnight Feast" (photo when he still had more hair...)
- Dave Evardson "Crosby Road"
- Lynn Morrison "Cave of Gold" (FolkWorld
To the content of FolkWorld's
Best CDs 2001
The Mollis - Editors
of FolkWorld; Published 01/2002
All material published in FolkWorld is © The
Author via FolkWorld. Storage for private use is allowed and welcome. Reviews
and extracts of up to 200 words may be freely quoted and reproduced, if source
and author are acknowledged. For any other reproduction please ask the Editors
for permission. Although any external links from FolkWorld are chosen with greatest
care, FolkWorld and its editors do not take any responsibility for the content
of the linked external websites.
FolkWorld - Home of European Music